FDI technology has been developed and supported by the automation industry’s leading technology foundations and suppliers. With FDI the advantages of FDT® are combined with those of EDDL in a single, scalable solution. FDI takes account of the various tasks over the entire lifecycle for both simple and the most complex devices, including configuration, commissioning, diagnosis and calibration, data access for monitoring and optimization through OPC UA.
An FDI Enabled solution requires two components. A host system that supports FDI, and instrumentation that includes support for FDI Packages. An FDI Package is a collection of files including:
- An Electronic Device Description (EDD) based on IEC 61804
- Instrument documentation files and communication technology specific files
FDI Enabled host systems can be found in a range of automation products including device management software as part of a process control or asset management system, a laptop based device configuration tool, a hand held field communicator or gateways for monitoring and optimization. The FDI architecture requires a set of common host software components:
- The EDD Engine - a multiprotocol EDDL interpreter
- The UI Engine - provides rendering and hosting services for instrumentation user interfaces
- PA-DIM server - enables access to a standardized set of device information
FIeldComm Group supplies the following products and a training workshop that are designed to allow automation suppliers to accelerate development of FDI host systems:
FDI Technology offers numerous benefits to end users including:
- Certificate based security for FDI Device Packages
- A single device package for all host systems
- Next generation HTML5 user interface options
Visit our dedicated end user site for FDI Technology to learn more
Check out these resources, including brochures, technical papers and other documents.